Friday, January 18, 2013

He gets even with me!

I just finished trimming Baxter's front claws, and he wasn't too happy about it at all.
I am not sure why. He should be used to it by now. I've been trimming them for over a year now, and about every three weeks or so. So why should he be in such a nasty mood afterwards, is beyond me. He's a cat - that's the explanation!

My feline buddy kept trying to bite me while I was clipping away, but I learned long ago to cover my exposed arm with a heavy towel beforehand. He tried anyway.

I spoke softly to him as I usually do while trimming his claws, encouraging him and telling him what a good boy he was. Wrong. What could I have been thinking? Did I think he was like my sweet tempered dog, George, who would have let me do just about anything to him without a fight. I could even take a dog biscuit right from his mouth and he wouldn't seem to mind. I tried it once or twice just to check it, and he would just look at me with woeful eyes as if to say, "Did I do something wrong Mom?" I would always give him an extra treat just for that.

But nooooooooooooo, not this not so little guy!!!

As soon as I finished I gave him some treats and continued speaking encouraging words like, "What a good boy you are! See now that wasn't so bad, was it?"

A few minutes later I was sitting in my favorite chair reading, when all of a sudden I felt a presence right next to me. Thankfully, I had a pillow in my lap to use as a shield, because the next thing I new his ears were pulled back (you can always tell they're ready to attack when they look like this!) and he lunged at me as if to bite me. Whew! Sure glad I had that pillow to protect me.

I kept holding that pillow for protection until he scampered away. When he got tired of waiting (for the pillow to move!), he walked over to my shoes perched by the front door and attacked them! I guess he figured if he couldn't have my flesh he would have the next best thing - my shoes!

All is well again. He is laying at my feet as I type these words - docile as a lamb.

All is forgiven (eventually!) in the world of Baxter!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment